Something I've Noticed

So, I’ve noticed something... kinda funny, kinda intriguing, also kinda sad.
I’m not sure if any of you have noticed this as well but think, for a moment, about life before all...well... the quarantine, lockdown, social distancing. What ever you want to call it.
Now think about what life is like now, notice anything interesting?
I have.
Something big.
Something I think we should all think about.
Not to worry us more or to make us sad but to think about how we live our lives each and every day.
I’ve noticed that before our “little” lockdown, most of us I think had what we would call a “normal life”. *GASP*. I know right? A novelty. Anyways, I digress...
So, what I have noticed is that when we had a “normal life” we were busy wether you were a single person, a parent, student, retired, or even a kindergartener. We were all busy. Wether we noticed or not, I believe this to be a FACT.
Now that we have no “life” or our “normal life” is on pause, I, myself, have been able to do many things that I wanted to try or continue with hobbies I never truly had time for. And quite frankly I am not ok with that. And by “that” I mean that I am too busy during my “normal life” to do new activities, or old hobbies.
So I ask myself, why would so many of us do this?


I think we fill our lives with unnecessary business. I think we fill it to make ourselves feel productive, active, and like we have a purpose. I think when others choose to take time for themselves they are sometimes shamed for being anti social. I think we need to be content with boredom because from that comes creativity. I think we need to take time to appreciate the little things because then we find meaning. I think we need to learn how to live simply sometimes.
And as much as I think we need to do this sort of thing more, it’s more to say it’s ok to take time to do that new activity you wanted to try, or start your old hobby again, or even some (occasionally very much needed) self care.
I think we should be more like dogs. What I mean is that if you have ever been around dogs you would notice how happy they are just to be alive. They love the little things. They can be busy running around all day playing, jumping, eating, exploring. But in the end they always make time for their favourite humans and a nap. They take time to recuperate so that they can do the same thing the next day. So they can do the things that make them happy.
I think this lockdown is very extreme and isolating. Which can be hard for a lot of people, but I think if we were to (during our “normal life”) take time to appreciate the little things, take time for ourselves, spend quality time doing a solo activity or hobby. I think the world would be just a little bit happier.
May your homes always be filled with snacks,
Mia
*note: this is a opinion piece, something I feel is going on. It's ok if you don’t agree :) let me know if you have any other thoughts or ideas related to this. I'm finding this a little hard to explain properly.

Comments

Popular Posts